Palmistry 15 - The Fate Line

Of the major lines, the fate line is the most variable in the hand.  Some people do not even have this line.  Many do not develop a fate line until their mid-20’s.  The fate line is also known as the ‘career path line’ and the ‘life path line.’

Some palmists feel that the absence of a fate line indicates a meandering, unfocused life.  Frankly, some hands are strong enough that the absence of a fate line does not make any difference in quality of life.  For some people, it is not as important what you do as how you do it.  Hence, a missing fate line is not worth a strenuous mention in a reading.

Alternatively, a sketchy, piecey, weak fate line may indicate that its owner is striving mightily to fit someone else’s notion of ‘successful.’  They may have an outwardly conventional life but be plagued with the feeling that ‘something’s missing.’

A strong, deep, well-defined fate line shows up on a person who has a clear idea of purpose and the strength of character to go with it.  These tend to be people who have few questions about what they do and why they do it.  Lucky dogs.

Placement
The fate line starts at the bottom of the hand, most typically in the center of the bottom edge, and extends up to the general vicinity of the middle finger.  Such a centrally placed fate line shows a person whose career motivation is balanced between the need for security and the need for self-fulfillment.  But there is as much variety in the starting points of this line and its course through the palm, as there are palms to read.

A fate line starting within the curve of the vitality line (which curves around the thumb) is one that is seen to reflect a career choice heavily influenced by family advice, tradition, convention or a strong need for security.  Often, people exhibiting this beginning to their fate line even work ‘in the family business’ or in the same career as a parent or close family member.

A fate line starting outside of the vitality line but still on the thumb-side of the palm are also influenced by family, tradition, convention or security in thier career choice, though not as strongly as those whose fate lines begin within the vitality line.  They may be more likely to change careers later in life.

A fate line that starts on the opposite bottom of the palm (under the ring or little finger) shows a person who has chosen an individually gratifying career.  This is also the starting point for those who make a career which deals with people or the public.  It is not unusual to see a fate line begin in the vicinity of the vitality line but then be joined by a new branch rising up from the opposite side of the palm.  This shows that initially the person started work based on outside advice, but then they found more fulfilling work to take on that was more self-motivated.

Length and Ending
There is no ‘typical’ length or ending to the fate line.  Some don’t begin until the middle of the palm.  Some begin at the base but end at the head line.  Some continue past the heart line.

The point where the fate line intersects the head line coincides roughly with age 35.  Many palmists interpret fate lines that end at the head line as showing that the owner had a career drive but then, around the age of 35, they were no longer inspired by conventional work.  They may continue working, but they have lost 'drive' or interest in thier career.  Often this pattern is seen on men or women who shift their focus to raising their families.

Since the place where the fate line intersects the heart line coincides roughly with age 50, the interpretation of a fate line that ends at the heart line is that the person’s career is diminishing as they begin to contemplate retirement.  For fate lines that continue beyond the heart line an active retirement period is indicated or, the person will push back retirement to continue in their career.

Breaks and Bubbles
A break in an otherwise continuous fate line indicates a break in one’s career.  It’s most commonly due to downsizing or termination.  A voluntary departure from a job usually doesn’t shock a person, causing a break on the line, unless it was coerced.

Some fate lines appear to be a series of broken lines.  This is found on folks who have had reason to change career paths frequently or can’t seem to hold onto positions for very long.

A bubble or island on the fate line shows a period of frustration and indecision in the person’s career.  It can mean a period of intense soul-searching concerning career direction or validity.

In our next Palmistry installment we will investigate the garden of other little lines that can crop up in the hands and make for interesting readings.  'Til then, Luckyearthlings!

Comments

Submitted by charles mascarenhas on Wed, 2013-03-27 01:30
Informative n interesting
Submitted by anshika on Tue, 2013-07-02 08:43
Sir, my faith line divided and goes towards sun,saturn and jupiter? What does it indicate anshi.1632@gmail.com
Submitted by anshika on Tue, 2013-07-02 08:51
Sir my sun line extends and joins to fate line and continue to join life line? What does indicate? anshi.1632@ gmail.com
Submitted by j2 on Fri, 2013-07-26 08:26
Dear anshi.1632, Could you send me a photocopy of your palms? A scanned copy to email info@luckyearthlings.com will come to me and I would be happy to evaluate your palms. yours, jnarvaez
Submitted by Mya on Mon, 2013-08-05 02:52
Hi my palm has a new mole right in the intersection of the fate and heart line. What does this indicate? Thank you!
Submitted by Shu-G on Mon, 2013-08-12 09:01
Sir, it seems I have more than two fate lines and had a lot of other lines parallel to fateline and some others are from heart line. what could be the interpretation here? pls respond at sugupta.ba@gmail.com
Submitted by j2 on Tue, 2013-08-13 13:40
Mya, sorry to take so long to respond. Summer, eh? Anyway, I'd love to see a photo of your new mole. Just to be responsible, gotta say that as with any new skin configuration like a mole or beauty mark, it's a good idea to bring it to your GP's attention at your next checkup. That being said, as for its meaning in your palm, my feeling is that it signifies a cementing of conditions in your career. Something, an event or a situation, that is strongly tying your emotions to your 'gainful' existence. It could be a deepening of your passion for what you do, a sincere commitment to a venture or even a profound friendship at your worksite. In any respect, though moles are generally not common palm components, I get a sense of strengthening in response to this. If you want to send me a pix you can do so at info@luckyearthlings.com. Regards!
Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 2013-09-01 03:56
Hello...question...is it possible to for the fate line to blend together with the head line? and if it can, then would does that mean? thank you for your attention
Submitted by j2 on Sun, 2013-09-01 10:39
Hello back, What you describe is not an unusual conformation but typically one of advantage. The fate line being 'married' to the head line as it were shows a strong blending of your manner of thinking with your vocation. In short, what you do for a living agrees with you. At the very least it complements the way you think, or the way you look at the world.
Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 2013-09-02 16:05
very helpful but `i seem to have 2 fate lines on my passive hand...one that ends right before the head line and the other extends all the way to the heart line and funny thing is i cant seem to find any fate line on my dominant hand
Submitted by j2 on Tue, 2013-09-03 15:00
I would love to see a scan of your palms, Anonymous. The lack of a fate line on your dominant hand is not an omission, of concern. The fact that they (2) appear in your non-dominant hand shows that your avocations are more of a source of fulfillment for you than your vocation. If I were seeing what you describe on your non dominant hand, I would hazard that you previously had an enjoyable sideline or hobby that you no longer pursue, but that you currently have one that is very fulfilling. Perhaps your participation in the first one 'led' to your undertaking of the second one. I would look to see the origin of the two fate lines to elicit further information.
Submitted by Avinash kumar on Thu, 2013-09-12 07:21
sir i have two fate lines on my hand... one starts from the region of moon and goes in the direction of jupiter bt ends at my head line.. The second fate line starts below 5 cm from my head line and goes straight in the direction of saturn and ends at my heart line.. sir my age is 24 and i woul like to know of what standard my future will be. and also my future financial condition..
Submitted by Saadia on Sun, 2013-09-15 06:11
Informative article,. I have a line between my head line and life line and which intersects my fate line,. What does that indicate?
Submitted by dip on Mon, 2013-09-16 07:36
Sir,my fate line starts from head line & starts with fork & with one parallel line,what does it means..?? dips.w141@gmail.com
Submitted by j2 on Thu, 2013-09-19 14:51
Dear Avinash, in the palmistry that I practice, I can teach others to see their potentials, but as I continually tell my students, you cannot reliably read the future UNTIL IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN. So, though I cannot tell you your 'future condition' financial or otherwise, I can tell you about your potential future given tendencies displayed in the palms. I do not know the strength of the two fate lines you describe, but assuming they are of average strength I would say from your description that you are not a lazy fellow and have more than your share of ambition and ability to make a good living. The fact that you have two lines shows me that you toy with two different, perhaps very different, ideas of how to make your living. One way is very personally appealing and fulfilling. The other is more compelling only because it is more financially rewarding. That last one is the one you will ride your career on. I hope that you will always be able to find some time for that interest of yours that comes from your heart, at least as a hobby or sideline. I have not seen the details of the rest of your palms, but if your fate lines are to be taken alone, I would say that you will not have any real trouble putting bread on your table. Good luck, Avinash. Sincerely, j2
Submitted by j2 on Thu, 2013-09-19 14:58
I would have to see a scan of your palms (if interested send as attachment to email joan@luckyearthlings.com reference your name Saadia so I would know who it referred to). It could be an extra segment to the head line, a 'floating segment' that could indicate something about your mental functioning or how you think about things. Could also be a 'functional simian line' depending on its presentation. Both would have implications in how you approach problems and how you perceive things mentally. I would need to see a scan to say anything more definite. Back at ya. j2
Submitted by j2 on Thu, 2013-09-19 15:52
Dear dip, Tried reaching you at the email you left and the delivery failed as it could not find anyone by that email address. Please check your email address and resend. Actually, it would be a help to see a scan of your palms in order to best answer your questions. If you can scan them and attach as a file to j2@luckyearthlings.com, I would be happy to do my best to answer your questions. Sincerely, j2@luckyearthlings.com
Submitted by nirupam on Thu, 2013-09-26 13:58
Sir, my fate line started from the mount of moon & another fate line creating a trident, started from base of the palm touching the life line, from that point the line once again saperated itself & went a bit above creating a sly wavy shape & joined the luna line which went almost near the heart line, also a line at d base started from bit inside the life line went diagonally & touched lower half of the moons fate line.... I hv deep interests for this subject, & i believe u 'll shed light over my curious mind... thank you. (email-johnny65.6660@ymail.com)
Submitted by j2 on Thu, 2013-09-26 16:42
Dear nirupam, it is difficult for me to discern a picture of your palm from your description. I tried to email at the address given but that failed as they couldn't locate anyone by that name. If you would like to send me a scan of your palms and your question along with it I will be glad to take a look. j2@luckyearthlings.com
Submitted by JB on Wed, 2013-10-02 22:47
Hi J2, Great site. I do not have a clear Line of Fate, but there are several smaller (influence?) lines running along in the general direction. I say they are influence, because they are broken but seem to carry on later. There are few more lines that originate in the general area but unsure if they can be considered Line of Fate. What is the general interpretation in such cases? Thanks,
Submitted by j2 on Fri, 2013-10-04 08:55
Dear JB, You had me at 'Great site' :-). Though I always have to toss out the 'I would need to see a scan of your palms to say anything you could quote me on' disclaimer, what you're describing is very familiar to palmists... especially in today's world. Though our parents and their parents may have chosen one vocation and stuck to it through their entire life, we 21st century sorts do not have that 'luxury' and find ourselves reinventing our vocations frequently, either from necessity or choice. If I was reading the palms that you describe, I would say that your mind and talents are flexible. You can see yourself following any number of different career paths and have tried your hand at a few already. Depending on what else I saw in your palms I might even say that you enjoy the flexibility that multiple skills or job experiences gives you and that you would feel suffocated being tied down to any one of them for too long.
Submitted by JB on Fri, 2013-10-04 12:43
Wow Joan! Absolutely spot on in terms on my vocation and career and also my interests in have flexibility (and self-expression) in my job.
Submitted by Anonymous on Wed, 2013-10-16 10:39
Hi J2, I would like to predict my fate line..I have one fate line that ends just below the head line. 2 parallel fate lines start below the head line and goes paralal towards middle finger and looks like a ladder.one fate line has islands and another one has no island symbol. I am curious to know about it.Could you please share your knowledge.
Submitted by j2 on Wed, 2013-10-16 19:44
Dear Anonymous, What would really help in teasing out more than a very general meaning for your fate lines would be a scan of your palms. If you send me a scan (like a photocopy, but as an attachment to an email), please include both hands and indicate if you are right or left handed. I typically read both hands, but with the fate line I focus primarily on the dominant hand. j2@luckyearthlings.com
Submitted by sabrina on Fri, 2013-10-18 10:16
right hand line is diff and is broken where as left fate line is smoth and continous
Submitted by j2 on Fri, 2013-10-18 13:56
Sabrina, that is a very good point to raise. The fate lines typically vary between hands. The fate line in the dominant hand dictates the vocational path of the person.
Submitted by sabrina on Fri, 2013-10-18 15:34
my dominant hand is right ... but my fate line is small and broken where as in left hand it is long and smoth...now what does this mean?
Submitted by j2 on Mon, 2013-10-21 21:18
Hi again Sabrina, Your question points up the fact that most palmistry texts don't deal directly with the variance between the hands' fate lines so I will give you my intuitive answer AND promise to dig a little bit into some dusty old tomes to see if any of the old-timers ever dealt with the variance between fate lines in any other way. A fate line which is lovely and strong On The Nondominant Hand while it is 'piecey' or in multiples on the Dominant Hand speaks to the difference in the subject's drive or sense of purpose between their private versus their public life. What that means is that the person feels a deep sense of purpose in the context of their family or home life, but their outside employment is 'just a job.' They may pursue a 'career' but it is more a means to an end to support something centered around the home which really gives purpose to the subject's life... perhaps a home-based hobby or private business, or the person's spouse or family activities. Their private life is what makes them tick, more than any other outside pursuit. That being said, I will dive into some texts I have to see if I can find any other takes on the presentation you describe. Thank you for your question!
Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 2013-10-22 13:19
thank u j2.. i ll send u scaaned images , so that it could be helpful for u ...
Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 2013-10-22 13:30
I have two fate likes, It starts from the bottom of middlefinger and then continue to around headlineand another line satrs parallely to this line from between head and heartline and then continues to the end of the palm..ar4e the 2 fate line and watas the significance?
Submitted by vasu on Mon, 2013-10-28 15:39
I want to send my palm photos..few qs on fate line and traingles..can you please give your email address
Submitted by j2 on Wed, 2013-10-30 08:36
Certainly Vasu, you can contact me at j2@luckyearthlings.com
Submitted by j2 on Wed, 2013-10-30 08:38
Though I didn't get your whole message, you can contact me at j2@luckyearthlings.com.
Submitted by j2 on Wed, 2013-10-30 08:41
Dear Anonymous, it would help me to be able to see a scan or photo showing the lines you describe. If you can upload a photo or scan to your computer, you can email it to me (with a copy of your email above so that I know who is who). I can be reached at j2@luckyearthlings.com
Submitted by katherine long on Fri, 2013-11-22 09:17
what is the meaning of the fate line starting above the head line and having 2 strong, same length, same size
Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 2013-11-25 09:55
Sir, my fate line diverts from just above the heart line towards the sun line. However, there is another fate line rising from the heart line and it gets divided into two. what does it mean?
Submitted by j2 on Tue, 2013-12-03 21:18
Though a picture would be great, from your description I would say that you came into your career or vocation(s) later in life, after age 30. Not that you didn't work before age 30. You may have, but your commitment did not kick in until that age. Also that you have two equally strong careers (per your description). This could be showing the manifestation of two jobs, two skills (for instance a producer AND a director), or a vocation (job) and an avocation (a pastime or hobby one is devoted to) going on at the same general time.
Submitted by j2 on Tue, 2013-12-03 21:20
You can send me a scan or jpeg of this at j2@luckyearthlings.com
Submitted by Tushar on Fri, 2013-12-13 15:41
Hey Anshika it is a very ideal and rare combination. Mind you it indicates a lot of success later on in your career

Comments:

Practice Type (Modality):
Article Type: